What is Polarization-Maintaining (PM) optical fiber?
The polarization of the light propagating in the regular single-mode fiber, however, gradually changes in an uncontrolled manner, depending on external perturbations such as temperature change and fiber movement. This problem can be solved by using a special fiber called PM fiber.
PM fiber is constructed in the way that the birefringence is induced by placing a stress rod between the core and the cladding. Three typical structures of PM fiber – Panda, Bow Tie, and Elliptical are shown in the Figure below. Such a birefringence results in two orthogonal linear polarized modes. The slow and fast principal optical axes are defined as the polarization direction of a mode with the larger and smaller propagation constant, respectively, and they are shown in the Figure below.
Neptec offers not only standard single fiber and multiple fiber PM connectors/Arrays also
all kinds of customized PM connectors/Arrays in either flat or angled end face per customer’s requirements. Its operating wavelength covers from visible to near-infrared light. Our PM products include
- Single PM Fiber Patch Cord with LC, SC, and FC Connectors
- 8/12/24F PM Fiber with MT or MTP
- Linear or 2D Multichannel PM Fiber Arrays
- Customized PM Connector/Array
- Passive PM Fiber Optic Devices – Coupler/PLC Splitter, Band Pass Filter, Collimator, Isolator, Circulator, PBC/PBS, WDM/CWDM/DWDM, etc.
- High Power PM Devices – Combiner, MFA, CPS, Fiber End-cap, Isolator, Coupler, etc.
PM fiber assembly is widely used for Applications:
- Silicon Photonics
- Laser and LED Light Sources
- Sensors and Gyroscopes
- External Modulators
- Optical Fiber Coupling
- Splitters, Combiners, Tap couplers
- Planar Waveguide Devices
- Polarization Multiplexers
- Polarization Sensitive Components
- Arrayed Devices
- Optical Amplifiers